A Magnificent Sterling Silver-Gilt Ewer-On-Stand & Sideboard Dish
R & S Garrard & Co London 1872
The Ewer on stand: 63cm high
The Dish 66.5 cm diameter
Total weight: 410oz (12,740g)
The inscription Reads:
"Presented with the accompanying service of gold plate to George Lane Hox. Esq. master of Bramham Moor Hounds from the year 1848 by members of the hunt and other friends in testimony of their sincere esteem and regards - AD. 1872"
The arms are those of Fox quartering Lane for George Lane-Fox (1816-1896) of Bramham Park, Yorkshire, only son of George Lane-Fox (1793-1848), MP for Beverley, Yorkshire (1820-1826 and 1837-1840), and his wife, Georgiana Henrietta, daughter of Edward Percy Buckley of Minestead Lodge, Hampshire. He was married on 17 November 1837 at Sheldon Church, Warwickshire, to Katharine Mary, daughter of John Steine, formerly MP for Bletchingley.
The presentation of this ewer and its accompanying service of plate took place at Harewood House, near Leeds, Yorkshire, on Saturday, 23 November 1872. The occasion was reported at length in the Press, including details of the gift of plate to Mr. Lane-Fox: ‘The testimonial consists of a very handsome dessert service for 24 persons, with centre ornament and candelabra complete, in the style of the 17th century, or what is commonly termed the style of Queen Anne. The centre, in the form of a cup, is an elaborate specimen of that style, enriched with masks of the period, and elevated upon a base designed for the purpose of introducing busts peculiar to the time of Queen Anne, and in which the portrait of that Sovereign generally occurs. The candelabra, which carry branches for nine lights each, are enlarged from an original design of the period, and combine not only peculiarity of treatment , but specimens of the busts introduced on the centre. The flowers stands, dessert stands, plates, &c., of the service are similar in treatment, although modified in detail. In addition to the service proper the testimonial comprises a large sideboard dish and ewer, as formerly made for rose water. The ewer is helmet form, and ornamented with straps and masks. The dish, which is also after an original design, combines the very rich tracery ornament of the period in bas-relief with the bolder scroll and mask ornamentation, and bears in the centre the following inscription: ‘’Presented with the accompanying service of gold plate, to George Lane Fox, Esq., Master of the Bramham Moor Hounds from the year 1848, by members of the hunt and other friends, in testimony of their sincere esteem and regard. A.D. 1872.’’ The service numbers 57 pieces of ornamental and useful plate, besides over 11 dozen pieces of small plate, cost about 3,000 guineas, and was supplied by Messrs. R. and [S.] Garrard and Co., of London.’ The presentation included an illuminated address enclosed in a gilt-edged volume bound in scarlet morocco by Charles Goodhall of Leeds, which featured photographs of the recipient in hunting costume and of the service of plate. (The Yorkshire Post, Leeds, Monday, 25 November 1872, p. 3b)
Price : On application